The Kiwanis Club of Ocean Beach began as the Beach Suburbs Kiwanis Club. It was founded on April 6, 1928, with 45 charter members from all the beach areas - not just Ocean Beach but also Point Loma, Pacific Beach, and Mission Beach.
Of the 45 original members, 31 were owners of their own business, including the owners of Ocean Village Hotel, the Sunshine Service Station, Strand Radio Company, a bakery, O.B. Cafe, a dry goods store, a store called: "Feed and Fuel", two other groceries, two dentists, two apartment hotels, a radio engineer, a barber, a doctor, a mason contractor, a real estate operator, a lawyer, a local newspaper called the Ocean Beach Program, and a "confectionary" owner. Fred E. Manning, manager of The Bank of Italy (later Bank of America), was the first
From its earliest days the Kiwanis Club of Ocean Beach contributed to civic improvements such as the building of the Ocean Beach Library, and the Ocean Beach Pier. From the 1950's to present, the Club has sponsored the Key Club at Point Loma High School. At one point the PLHS Key Club was the largest in the world. For many years the faculty adviser was chemistry teacher and club member Paul Shank.
In 1948, to celebrate its 20th Anniversary the Club launched the Ocean Beach Kite Festival. Now, the Kite Festival is the oldest children's kite festival in the United States. In 1967, the Club launched the Ocean Beach Fishing Derby. In 2006, the Club started the Howl-o-Week Canine Carnival.
Kiwanis Club of Ocean Beach is part of Kiwanis International. Kiwanis empowers communities to improve the world by making lasting differences in the lives of children. Kiwanis clubs, like ours, focus on changing the world by serving children, one child and one community at a time.
Feel free to drop us a line. Or better yet, come join us at one of our meetings or events!